Tuesday, March 1, 2016

David Bowie tribute: Meme photo gallery edition

In light of Saturday's fun, funky and well done David Bowie tribute concert by the New York-based fusion band Burnt Sugar Arkestra Chamber, I realized I have been making quite a few tribute memes to my main man. So I thought it might be appropriate to post them here on Cary's Comics Craze.

This photo gallery makes my 10th tribute to Bowie, all of which helped me process his shocking death.
I created this meme last night, having been inspired by this artwork I found on a Bowie fan's Facebook page.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
Writing these homages — including the overall tribute published Jan. 13 in the NORWALK REFLECTOR newspaper — has helped get me to what I call the "healthy grief" stage and celebrate Bowie's career and my lifelong idol.

These are buttons I've owned since the 1980s, but I decided
to start wearing them on one of my jackets to honor Bowie.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
(One tribute looked back on the six times I'd seen the Thin White Duke in concert and there's also a six-part "Bowie at his Best" series, which focuses on his wide range of music and videos. There's also a lengthy 2004 preview feature of Bowie's Columbus, Ohio show I wrote for the COSHOCTON TRIBUNE newspaper, which includes several fans discussing seeing him live. There's also a review of Lady Gaga's energetic tribute medley at the Grammys, which also includes briefer thoughts on most of the other tributes that night.)

Unlike the silly and humorous meme madness you're used to seeing from the somewhat twisted brain of yours truly, the following memes pay serious homage to Bowie, my all-time favorite performer and musician. I created three of the memes before his Jan. 10, 2016 death after a private, 18-month battle with liver cancer. 

Hopefully, each of these memes will bring smile to the faces of my fellow Bowieheads. Long live the Thin White Duke!

One of my best friends, Aaron Dees, knowing I'm a diehard David Bowie fan
took a picture of his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for me.
Little did any of us know Bowie was in the fight of his life with liver cancer.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE


I created this meme June 27, 2015.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
Within a week of Bowie's death, I bought these two T-shirts from the Hot Topic at the local mall —
the same day they were nice enough to call me and say they had received new shirts.
I also bought the TIME magazine dedicated to Bowie. It was well-needed retail therapy!
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
Nothing like taking a selfie in front of one of my posters.
Selfie and meme by CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
This is true!
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
This is part of a poster-size collage I made about five years ago and then framed.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
This too is true! I created this meme in June 2015.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
Australian novelist and fellow Bowiehead Sylvia Massara inspired this meme. It's an inside joke
with my new online friend, but I'd say "Bowie noir" is a definite thing!
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE

No comments:

Post a Comment