Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Motor City Comic Con photo gallery No. 4: The Celebrity Edition

Apparently, writer Dirk Manning enjoys the schtick of intentionally
obscuring his face when fans take his picture. "Like KISS in the 1970s, right?,"
I told him. Manning laughed and agreed.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
NOVI, Mich. -- Legendary comic book artist Michael Golden misspelled my first name. And one-time and present "The Flash" actor John Wesley Shipp has a very firm handshake.

Oh -- and if you didn't figure this out, comic industry icon Neal Adams doesn't believe in professional courtesy. Even if it's just to autograph my 2015 Motor City Comic Con vendor badge. And yes, he once again was wearing his go-to blue convention dress shirt Sunday.

Welcome to my fourth photo gallery of the pics I took at Motor City Comic Con -- in a post I've subtitled "The Celebrity Edition."
After the jump, you'll find photos I snapped of various TV and film stars, icons and those celebs still "riding the circuit," as I say. Also you'll find some shots of comic book artists.

But first, here is a wrap-up of my memorable interactions with Adams, Golden and Shipp.



Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez chats with a fan. I wanted to get my picture taken
with the DC Comics artist legend, but his line was just that much too long
each time I might have had the opportunity.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
"You didn't read the sign," Adams good-naturedly said to me just as the con was getting started Sunday. "I'll sign anything for $30."

Adams, who was nice enough to shake my hand before this exchange, added with a smile: "You're an artist; you can't read."

"Better yet," I quipped, "I'm a writer and can't read."

Artist Michael Golden autographs a print. In the front is his rendition of Rogue,
a character he created who made her first appearace in 1981 in
AVENGERS ANNUAL No. 10. (CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE)
Of all all the artists who were at Motor City, I wanted to make sure I met Golden. He was at the Wizard World in Cleveland in February and I kicked myself for not chatting with him at the time.

And as prickly as Adams can be, the co-creator of the X-Men's Rogue couldn't have been nicer.

This is one of the many covers that
Michael Golden did for DETECTIVE COMICS.
I waited behind a mom and her young son as Golden autographed a print they just had bought. The MICRONAUTS artist took time to make sure his signature didn't bleed and he neatly put the prints face out in the hard plastic sleeve.

As one should do when meeting any celebrity at a convention, I told Golden how much I dig the iconic DETECTIVE COMICS covers he drew in 1991. (See the cover of No. 633 on the right.)

I told Golden I didn't think to bring an issue from home to have him autograph and how AVENGERS ANNUAL No. 10 (in which Rogue makes her first appearance) is one of the greatest single issues I've ever read -- and remains that way, even if I haven't read it in years. But I told him I'd make sure I'd bring a 'TEC issue if he was at another con I'd be attending in the future.

The mother who was in line with her son was nice enough to take my picture with Golden. (See below.) I offered to let him see how it turned out. His tongue-in cheek response was classic: "I didn't need to; I always look good."
How cool to get my picture taken with a legend -- and a truly
nice guy -- in the comic book industry: Michael Golden.
CARY'S COMICS CRAZE

Later that day, I realized I should have had Golden autograph my vendor badge. (Especially since Adams was too good to do it as a professional courtesy and Golden couldn't have been nicer!)

So I told Golden I didn't want to bug him -- much less be "that fan" -- and asked him if he'd autograph my badge. He nicely obliged me (about the time his booth assistant OK'd it).

He even personalized it. ... And although I carefully spelled out C-A-R-Y, it wasn't until I reached the booth where I was working that I realized Golden spelled my first name K-E-R-R-Y.

Oh well. Makes for a funny story!

My interaction with Shipp was short -- not to mention random! -- but by far, it was one of the personal highlights of the convention.

The con was about 30 to 45 minutes from ending when I wandered through the celebrity section on the way back to the bathroom. Most of them were gone for the day, but Shipp was there with the two people manning his booth.

John Wesley Shipp speaks to a fan Sunday at the
Motor City Comic Con. After a brief -- and random --
chat with him, I'm impressed with how personable he is.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
As I walked by, we happened to lock eyes (No, not like that!), so I walked over to the side of the waiting area. Shipp stepped around the counter he was behind and approached me. We shook hands and I told Shipp how cool it was for "The Flash" creative team to cast him as Barry Allen (Grant Gustin)'s father -- an homage to Shipp playing Allen during the short-lived, 1990 CBS series, "The Flash."

"He's such a great character by himself," Shipp said about his present role as the wrongly convicted Henry Allen.

I then told Shipp how great his onscreen chemistry is with Gustin.

"He's such a great kid," Shipp quickly said.

It's a bird, it's a plane ... Not it's Dean Cain shaking hands
with a fan. CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
Next, I said it seems like from all the interviews I've seen and his convention appearances that "Arrow" star Stephen Amell also comes off as a nice guy. Shipp said he was genuinely surprised just how nice Amell is, given how intense of a character he plays.

We shook hands again. And I walked back to the booth where I was working with a big, cheesy grin on my face.
Still "a good ol' boy": John Schneider. I was about
15 feet away from the "Dukes Of Hazzard" star
when I snapped this shot.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
Actress Judith Hoag played April in the original
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" movies.
Here she is talking to the young fan in front of her.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
Got him in one shot -- and I didn't even have to stand on one leg!
Ralph "The Karate Kid" Macchio poses for a picture with a fan at his booth. CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
Robert Patrick is best known as playing the "new" Terminator
in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day."
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
Rachael Adams is Ms. Michigan 2015.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
"Indepence Day" star Vivica A. Fox signs an autograph.
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE

C. Thomas Howell might be best known for his role in the 1983
coming-of-age film "The Outsiders" or even the controversial 1986 comedy
"Soul Man." He had a small part in "The Amazing Spider-Man."
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE
It's hard to believe Dawn Wells, better known
as Mary Ann on "Gilligan's Island" is 76.
Looking good, Dawn!
CARY ASHBY/CARY'S COMICS CRAZE

























No comments:

Post a Comment